Phone Screen: Team Fit & Soft Skills
The goal of this phone screen to find out if the candidate is the right fit for the company and the team based on soft skills, potential interest, and communication skills. It’s also important to understand what they’re passionate about and if it aligns with our goals.
Can be conducted by a recruiter
- Technical Fluency
- Business Fluency (Product Thinking)
- Grit & Passion
Questions to Ask
- What are your career goals? What are you looking for?
- What don’t you want to do?
- How do you continue to advance your design knowledge? / How do you learn?
- When is the last time you tried a new product? What was it? / What are your favorite products? Why?
- How have you improved the design practice from process to tool usage on your Design team?
- What do you want to learn next?
- What are you most proud of in your design career? Look for if they talk about product, process, people, or other things to find passion areas
Nice to Haves
- Can you tell me about someone you’ve helped in your career? How?
- Tell us about the newest thing you’ve learned that has improved your design work. What was it?
- Why did you decide to invest time in it? How did you learn it? Look for someone that is a self-learner.
- How did you apply it afterwards?
Lastly, request their portfolio details, if you don’t already have it.
Phone Screen Questions
Record Answers & Notes
Google Form Template
Since this is such a high-level call, keep your scoring system simple (Yes, No, Uncertain). Do you believe the candidate as the outline competencies?
Product Designer - Phone Screen Scorecard
If the candidate has an excellent resume, portfolio evaluation, and phone screen, move them straight to the background interview to keep commitment level a bit lower and have more time to sell.
Go to Background Interview
If the candidate is interesting but there is still uncertainty in some areas, proceed with the portfolio presentation to get additional depth of their capabilities.
Go to Portfolio Presentation
Otherwise, pass on the candidate and email them thanking them for their time.