45 minute presentation, 15 minute Q&A
By showing the product to the candidate you can gauge how they think about design and approach learning by the questions they ask. The method is equal parts evaluation and a selling tool. Great designers are naturally curious and particular want to know where the product experience is currently at to understand where they can provide value.
Hiring manager and designer
Thinks to Look For
- What would they be excited about changing?
- How do they think it could be improved?
- How would they work with you to figure out the best design and solution?
- How much do they focus on understanding the user versus focus on design best practices?
- Do they ask questions about the context of use, jobs to be done, user goals and other user details?
- Provide context to the candidate while you present but leave out some details hoping for questions
- Critique it yourself as you present to make it more comfortable
- Interaction Design
- Research & Analytics
- Business Fluency
- Grit & Passion